Friday 12 October 2012

"My first 10 days, 21 hours and 17 minutes as an EVS-volunteer" by Rebecka Frohm, one our long-term volunteers in Leeds

My first 10 days, 21 hours and 17 minutes as an EVS-volunteer

Ten days, 21 hours and 17 minutes ago I arrived for the first time in Leeds, England. The Leeds train station was crowded, one wheel on my suitcase had just fallen off and I was tired, sweaty and hungry after having travelled with all of my belongings since the morning. But I was excited and happy! A couple of weeks earlier I had received the grateful news that I finally was accepted for the EVS-programme. I was going to be volunteering in different activities carried out by a church in one of the areas of Leeds. So here I was, a 24year old Swedish nervous girl who didn’t really know what to expect from her coming 11 months in her new country (and I still don’t).

The first two days I got to meet my new housemates, who all have come to do an EVS in different projects for 11 months. They come from countries such as Spain, Czech republic and Hungary so; it’s a very nice mixture of people living under the same roof.
The first week we’ve also had time to get introduced a little bit to the British culture –which I’ve already noticed is slightly different from the one I’m used to. Here it can be very impolite not to say “thank you” three times in the same sentence or “sorry” even if it is someone else who is stepping on your toes.

Today was my forth day in my project. I’ve already met a lot of new people, learned what a “fly pie” is (a couple of hours per week I’m helping out in the church coffee shop, that’s why), played with small toddlers in the children’s group, eaten fish and chips etc.

Right now, I love my new life as a volunteer!
 


September 2012
Rebecka Frohm
Long-term volunteer in the UK.

Project part of With YOUth in Mind
and supported by the British Council
and the Youth in Action programme
of the European Commission