Monday 26 November 2012

Second testimony of Rebecka, our long term volunteer in South Parade Baptist Church (Leeds)



Hej hej! 

My name is Rebecka, I’m 24 years old and come from the cold but beautiful country Sweden. 

For the past two years I’ve been working with children and teenagers in a church, carrying out different leisure activities (many of the including music), but a couple of months ago I decided I wanted to do something similar but in a different setting. I applied to some EVS-projects that seemed interesting and after a long waiting; I ended up in South parade Baptist church in Leeds, England. 

It’s already been five weeks since I first arrived here and it feels like I already feel “at home” in my project. Three days per week I help out in the parent and toddler groups of the church. There I get to do both practical (for example chopping fruits for snack time, play the ukulele during singing time) and social things (talk to the parents, play with the children etc). Three times/week I work in the church coffee shop with some lovely ladies who teach me a lot about life and I also help out in different kid’s groups and in a youth club for 11-16 year olds.

I’m so happy that I get to try so many things during the week. The schedule I’ve got is very diverse so I haven’t gotten bored yet

So long! 


Rebecka, long term volunteer in South Parade Baptist Church (Leeds).

Project part of With YOUth in Mind
and supported by the British Council
and the Youth in Action programme
of the European Commission