Monday 19 November 2012

Testomony from Jamie Cecil, short-term volunteer in Orfeas forest, Greece.

"This project has really helped me to figure out what I want to do in the future as well as help me become more confident and more knowledgeable about how others live and think."


''Hi my name is Jamie Cecil I am 19 years old and I come from Manchester.

I did a short term 1 month E.V.S. volunteering job in Xylocastro Greece. It consisted of me helping to protect the local Orfeas forest and the coast line.

I was living in a house located not far from the town square with 8 female volunteers. The house its self was very nice it had all of the essential equipment that you need and was very big and everyone had their own space. The volunteers I stayed with were very friendly forthcoming and came from all over the world for example Portugal, Latvia, Italy, Poland, Austria and France. 

My day to day activities consisted of getting up at 8:30 and going to work in the forest by removing any rubbish I find along the pathways and to help plant new trees and remove any plants that had died as well as paint the fences along the edge of the forest. 

In the night’s me and the other volunteers spent our time at the local bars having a laugh or in the house just talking and spending time talking with the locals and learning more about the Greek culture. 

I also helped out the other long term volunteers in their projects which was very enjoyable because you can see the project from a whole new angle as well as learn a new skill you might not have known you could do. 

This project has really helped me to figure out what I want to do in the future as well as help me become more confident and more knowledgeable about how others live and think. I would definitely do another E.V.S. project as I found this one very enjoyable and enlightening as the local people and the other volunteers were very friendly and forthcoming. I would definitely recommend E.V.S to others as it is a life changing experience. As you have the chance to meet new people and make new friends from all over the world and to learn about different cultures and different ways of life.''

 Jamie, short-term volunteer in Greece

Project part of INCLUSION FOR ALL
and supported by the British Council
and the Youth in Action programme
of the European Commission